Author Topic: List of Shame  (Read 109756 times)

Najemikon

Re: List of Shame
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »
sdedalus, do you have a review of Singin' in the Rain to link here for Najemikon? I have three words of advise; suspension of disbelief.  Ideathy is right, you might find somethings in it to like. Have fun!

Thanks, Sandy! That helps. I'll avoid sugar that day too... ;)
Jon
"Get out of my way son, you're using my oxygen."
Catch up with reviews at my blog,

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
The issues above comes into having a 10 year old involved as a member.  If its a problem, I apologize. 

Najemikon, the reason Ideathy dictated Singin' in the Rain to you is mostly because it is the only one of the films she's seen all of.  If this is a problem, I can help her choose a different one.  Although I would say that Singin' in the Rain is good because of two main reasons: It is a funny film about Hollywood and because it exudes joy.  Perhaps, like other musicals, it is overacted, but it is worth it for Gene Kelly's performance and the chemistry between the three leads.

As far as The Secret of NIMH and Kung Fu Hustle, yes, I approved of both because while there is deep tension in one and strong violence in the other, Ideathy is able to separate fantasy from reality and so I see no long term harm.

Assume that whatever Ideathy does on the forum it is pretty much under my supervision.  So blame me for it all.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Totoro

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
Kung Fu Hustle is soooo different than the others on the list that it gave me pause. I was just articulating it. I should have assumed it. I apologize.

Still, for this round, I dictate Robin Hood. It's a film that's heavily underrated in the Disney canon! Very creative and distinct for a story that's been adapted over and over again.

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
The issues above comes into having a 10 year old involved as a member.  If its a problem, I apologize. 

Najemikon, the reason Ideathy dictated Singin' in the Rain to you is mostly because it is the only one of the films she's seen all of.  If this is a problem, I can help her choose a different one.  Although I would say that Singin' in the Rain is good because of two main reasons: It is a funny film about Hollywood and because it exudes joy.  Perhaps, like other musicals, it is overacted, but it is worth it for Gene Kelly's performance and the chemistry between the three leads.

As far as The Secret of NIMH and Kung Fu Hustle, yes, I approved of both because while there is deep tension in one and strong violence in the other, Ideathy is able to separate fantasy from reality and so I see no long term harm.

Assume that whatever Ideathy does on the forum it is pretty much under my supervision.  So blame me for it all.

No reason to think of blame! You've got a 10 year old taking an active interest in a serious film forum and able to recommend a 59 year old film? No need to apologise for that.

At the end of the day, I let iCheckMovies dictate the list and I didn't edit it. I was asking for trouble! ;) I'm playing the game as honestly as possible, the topics a great one and clearly working. And thank you for expanding; the fact Singin' is about Hollywood will help.
Jon
"Get out of my way son, you're using my oxygen."
Catch up with reviews at my blog,

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
I invited you into this Jon.

I like that you're recruiting. Najemikon looks like hit fit right in with the team.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 08:16:12 PM »
I invited you into this Jon.

I like that you're recruiting. Najemikon looks like hit fit right in with the team.

He definitely needs a proper avatar.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 08:35:17 PM »

I think it's great that Ideathy is a member and that she is participating in things like Marathons, MDC, and List of Shame.  I wasn't really voicing my concern for The Secret of NIMH, I loved it when I was a child, and I love it now, for some of the same reasons and some new that I picked up as an adult.  You are talking to a girl who saw Predator when she was 8.  :)  Ideathy sounds like an insightful and intelligent girl capable of appreciating all different types of films.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:22 PM »
Ideathy--I just wanted to say that Robin Hood is my favorite Disney. (nostalgia reigns!)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
You are talking to a girl who saw Predator when she was 8.  :)

You too? :o

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 10:17:51 PM »
21 Male who hasn't seen Predator. That's why I put it on my list of Shame.  :P