Author Topic: List of Shame REVIEWS  (Read 209988 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: List of Shame REVIEWS
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
The Day of the Jackal
(Fred Zinnemann, 1973)

Remember that great sequnce in The American when Clooney constructs the gun, well Day of the Jackal is like that the whole way through.
Adding this near the top of my queue now. [/td][/tr][/table]

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
The Day of the Jackal
(Fred Zinnemann, 1973)

Remember that great sequnce in The American when Clooney constructs the gun, well Day of the Jackal is like that the whole way through.
Adding this near the top of my queue now.

Hehe, I got me a big one!

;)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »
NOW?

some friend.  ;D

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
Hey, I added it to my queue when you recommended it...I just didn't prioritize it until now. I usually need more than one person to recommend it to me before it's top 10 queue worthy.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 12:09:42 PM »
Seven

How big of a shocker was it for you at the end? It does play out as a twist of sorts doesn't it?

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 01:16:37 PM »
The Day of the Jackal
(Fred Zinnemann, 1973)

Adding this near the top of my queue now.

Hehe, I got me a big one!

;)

Don't you mean I"VE got me a big one or two.  ???

I'm glad to see you liked it, I've seen it close to 10 times and it never fails to keep me entertained and excited.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »
Re- Se7en- I am glad you liked it, particularly because there are a lot of biblical references which you might have had a strong reaction to.

I think Fincher manipulates that performance out of Brad Pitt, and does the same in Fight Club. He plays on that slightly dickish quality, after all his character is the young guy biting off more than he can chew. Paltrow was never cuter but she really is being 'served up' for the sake of the plot.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 03:10:01 PM »
Unfortunately, as soon as I saw this almost "perfect" relationship between the couple in Seven, I figured she'd be targeted by the killer.   The only trick was figuring out how it related to the pattern.  The only "twist" for me was who was going to play "Envy". I saw some of the other stuff coming, but it didn't matter, it was perfectly played.
I think Pitt's character was better in Fight Club than in Seven.  Not that he played a completely different character, but that basic arrogant persona worked better in that film.  He wasn't supposed to be sympathetic in FC, but in Seven I thought we were supposed to connect to him and I never did.  I saw Fight Club last night again just to be sure.  Yep, I liked it a lot better, but I am closer to calling Fincher one of the great masters of style.

The biblical references were throw away lines, I thought.  The real depth is in the conversations between Freeman and Pitt.  A lot to mine out there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:50:13 PM by ses »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »
The biblical references were throw away lines, I thought.  The real depth is in the conversations between Freeman and Pitt.  A lot to mine out there.

Yeah, this was somewhat of a disappointment for me in the rewatch (though I still gave it a 4/5) was realizing how the film didn't really draw out the biblical inspiration very well. It makes John Doe's acts seem less meaningful in some way.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 03:50:35 PM »

Yeah, this was somewhat of a disappointment for me in the rewatch (though I still gave it a 4/5) was realizing how the film didn't really draw out the biblical inspiration very well. It makes John Doe's acts seem less meaningful in some way.

Part of the reason that there isn't a lot of Bible in this film is because the seven deadly sins aren't based on the Bible.  In the Bible there is a concern for "covetousness" or ungodly desire.  That one concept is the basis for a number of the seven: gluttony, lust, envy, greed.  Some might argue that all seven are applications of the concept of covetousness.   Frankly, these are specifically Latin sins, sins that would be recognized by any Roman, whether Christian or pagan.  An Old Testament list of seven and a New Testament list of seven would look different than this, as well as different from each other.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky