Author Topic: List of Shame REVIEWS  (Read 209962 times)

Jared

• Elite Member
Re: List of Shame REVIEWS
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
Dogville

I hadnt gotten around to this one yet because I hadnt appreciated some of Von Trier's other work as much as most. Antichrist got a little tedious, and Breaking the Waves just didnt work for me despite a terrific lead performance.

So we come to Dogville. Lets just say that for the first time I really liked what Von Trier was doing. First of all, the stage play like setting worked spendidly...providing a lot of humor, showing multiple things going on at once in different buildings, etc. I thought it was a terrific style choice.

The story is like a bizarre mixture of Woman in the Dunes, Salo, and perhaps Road to Perdition. The runtime (177 minutes) provides it with the perfect slow burn.

Nicole Kidman isnt generally some one Ive understood the hype for, but she does well in this role. The supporting cast is even better.

5/5

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2011, 12:59:11 PM »
I haven't seen Dogville (though I should) but Manderlay uses a similar staged setting and I liked that film well enough (though Antichrist is probably the best of the 3-4 films of his I've seen).

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
It's so great to see somebody find all that in Gone With the Wind. Too often it's dismissed as just a well made romance.

I found Scarlett's character deplorable and I felt that the film kept trying to somehow treat her like she wasn't, it was really hard to get past that.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »
It's so great to see somebody find all that in Gone With the Wind. Too often it's dismissed as just a well made romance.

I found Scarlett's character deplorable and I felt that the film kept trying to somehow treat her like she wasn't, it was really hard to get past that.
Yep, this is the core problem of the film.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »
I don't think the film ignored how deplorable she could be. Hence the positive reaction from the audience to the famous "I don't give a damn" line.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »
I don't think the film ignored how deplorable she could be. Hence the positive reaction from the audience to the famous "I don't give a damn" line.

I'm not saying the film ignored her deplorable nature, I'm saying that the film looked at what she was doing and tried to push it as being okay. I found her unbearable and that character made the film a real slog to get through.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2011, 02:57:23 PM »
I don't even think the film tried to push her actions as beig okay. Not at all.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2011, 02:57:58 PM »
I don't even think the film tried to push her actions as beig okay. Not at all.

I disagree.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2011, 03:01:08 PM »
That's fine, and I can actually see how finding the film to be endorsing the lead character's deplorable behaviour would sour you to the film. I didn't see the film that way and so it totally worked for me.

ProperCharlie

• Am I right sir? Ithangyou.
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
Oh, I think Scarlett's actions were supposed to be looked on as perfectly wonderful and Scarlett herself was supposed to be sympathetic.  She is *the* Southern belle and stands for everything that was lost.  Hence why I think it's such a wonderfully corrupting, peverse, corrosive experience, even if that's wholly unintentional.

She is a cockroach.  A thoroughly repulsive, deplorable survivor.  It's horror almost at its purest.