love

Author Topic: Sam Runs an eBay Store  (Read 2244 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Sam Runs an eBay Store
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 04:17:55 AM »
I read it as 15 boxes at $5 per box which would be $75 for 75DVDs
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2021, 04:44:55 AM »
$75 for like 1000 DVDs is my reading.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2021, 04:55:41 AM »
$75 for like 1000 DVDs is my reading.

Yes. Read it again. $5 per box of 75DVDs. * 15 boxes
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2021, 08:28:21 AM »
The former. 75 bucks for 15 boxes.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2022, 09:18:05 PM »
I'm through 10 of the 15 boxes and have easily made my money back on just a few high priced items, the biggest one being a sealed copy of Anne of Green Gables trilogy.

I'm setting a goal this year to try to get to 125 listings a week. Right now I'm eeking out about 100 listings. Main issue is going to be finding a reliable source of new inventory. Getting the 15 boxes was an end of the year clear out deal that I doubt I'll be able to consistently find. Also Goodwill and certain pawn franchises are upping their prices.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2022, 09:29:21 PM »
I have a functioning Nintendo 2DS (with Monkey Ball), Fire Stick, digital camera, Google Nexus 7, and robovac that all probably have actual resale value and I'm just gonna give them to Goodwill. There was a time I definitely would have put a little sweat into selling some of it, but now I'm just the guy who maybe creates an arbitrage opportunity for Sam (or a version of Sam who doesn't focus on movies). That said, my copy of the Mario 3D All-Stars for Switch is definitely getting sold if I decide I'm ready to part with it.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2022, 09:59:57 PM »
I mean you certainly have to value what your time is worth. There are things that could make me money but the time to find it, figure out how best to list it, sell it, and then ship it all takes different times if you're selling stuff from around your house. The whole idea of what I'm doing is creating systems that make it easy for me to sell one type of thing really well.

That being said, I still will probably take the time to pair down my stuff again this year and sell off the items that I think will make enough profit for my time.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 08:24:18 PM »
I was a fairly early eBay adopter, and probably much like Bondo, would sell things there that I knew could net a profit that would be worth my time. I believe though that the fees to sell have increased; check me if I'm wrong, but I believe in regards to final valuation, they take a larger chunk out of each transaction than earlier in the life of the company. Then, it seems like they have become a little lopsided toward the customer when it comes to customer service. I have a whole story, but I basically got very screwed by a customer, and just sort of threw in the towel, because they provided scant evidence for their claims. I feel like you pretty much have to work at volume, it's not as worth the time if you're just a regular person who wants to sell a few belongings you no longer use. For that, though, I still find Craigslist useful.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 09:13:12 PM »
That's all pretty much true. People will abuse the customer sided system but if you do enough volume you just eat it as cost of doing business. And yes, the fees go up but ideally the better you get at running your business you're also driving costs down or selling more items so that you end up ahead of growing fees if you're investing the time. For people looking to offload used items, I'm not sure I'd recommend it, especially for big ticket items where people might be looking to scam you.

But I really haven't had trouble with people trying to rip me off for a 10 dollar DVD. All the returns and disputes have either been a defective item or a damaged in shipping case which in both cases I take the hit and move on with my life. It's not that much money and I can just go find more stuff to list. Couple of people also decided to just return the item for no real reason but in that case eBay pays shipping back so I usually just relist it when it comes back.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2022, 09:48:38 PM »
I used half.com part of ebay. Didn’t want to deal with auction uncertainty. Basically I’d buy games new and play them quick and sell…maybe eat $20 net to play a game.