Author Topic: Antares' Half Century of Life and Films Marathon  (Read 12045 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: Antares' Half Century of Life and Films Marathon
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 11:54:01 PM »
I don't see it as a justification of the technology. If anything, it seems to be a rebuke of how dependent we've become of it.

I didn't say justification of the technology, I said justification of the lifestyle.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 11:55:22 PM »
Um, so the most relevant part of the review is where you offensively make assumptions about the people who liked the movie?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
but I do think the major themes are much broader, more universal and more timeless.

I'll make a prediction...in 18 months you'll find this film in the $5 Walmart bin, that's how timeless it will be.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
I don't think the movie itself will be particularly "timeless". I've actually argued with people about this. I just mean the themes it touches upon are timeless. Backstabbing, destroyed friendships, the drive to succeed above all else, etc.

Totoro

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:17 PM »
And CITIZEN KANE is highly acclaimed because people like to validate their reasons for buying newspaper!  ::)

Ummmm, is that a review of The Social Network or social networking technology?

:)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:00:18 AM by Totoro »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »
my wife and myself both felt the same thing at the end of this film... that this was acclaimed by many because they felt a need to validate their existence and lifestyle perpetuated in the Facebook community.

I've learned over many reviews that Antares and I don't park our cars in the same garage, but this is not just a major disagreement it's a bit of a slap in the face. The Social Network was acclaimed by many because it's a great example of a superior script in the hands of an amazing director, who can bring more than visual flash to a story that has all the classic elements of great drama. This film validated my needs as a human to watch epic characters act with and against each other. This was acclaimed by many of the same people who enjoy Shakespeare or 12 Angry Men because it's just excellent drama.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 12:00:09 AM »
And CITIZEN KANE is highly acclaimed because people like to validate their reasons for buying newspaper!  ::)

I do not need to validate my reasons for buying newspaper. (Newsprint makes for good kindling while I read my Kindle)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 12:00:31 AM »
I don't think the movie itself will be particularly "timeless". I've actually argued with people about this. I just mean the themes it touches upon are timeless. Backstabbing, destroyed friendships, the drive to succeed above all else, etc.

OK, I stand corrected, you are right on that point.

You want me to be more elaborate, OK...I felt like I was watching a film that was desperately trying to be hip, almost to the point of being an extended music video. I found it tedious, with moments of fleeting bits of brilliance in the dialogue.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:03:56 AM by Antares »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »
This was acclaimed by many of the same people who enjoy Shakespeare or 12 Angry Men because it's just excellent drama.

Hi!

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »
Unless you are into the latest trend in computer technology, then this film is a snooze-fest.
Nah, by my generation's standards I'm something of a Luddite, and I thought it was pretty entertaining.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love