Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 95544 times)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1170 on: May 22, 2019, 10:40:27 PM »
And while those people may have been young, I would not call them representative of the generation, just noisy, probably washed out by the fact that the younger generations are more diverse.

Point taken.

With specific reference to The Last Jedi, I never felt like diversity was being rammed down my throat.  And in this particular instance of sci-fi fantasy, I find discussions of diversity to be a bit absurd:  the universe was “diverse,” in a very pointed way, from the very beginning (e.g., the cantina scene in the first episode, the chief protagonist of the first two films is abnormally tall and entirely shrouded in black and his minions are entirely shrouded in white armor); and yet, no matter how diverse the cast of characters are, however you define that term (by all characters or just the “human” ones), the entire universe seems to be able to speak one language (English).  That said, I have my suspicions of all those guys and their YouTube videos trolling that film: when they say they’re mad about the PC nature of the whole affair, I wonder if they’re really just mad at the narrative subversions (e.g., Luke being a bitter hermit, Rey having no special lineage), and vice versa.  There’s a certain ye-doth-protest-too-much to these sorts of things.  In any case, it does bring me back to my original point: whether the difference tends to be generational, what seems to be an increasing segment of the twitter-fueled population is simply incapable of allowing a story like that to pull them in.  I mean, some of the most popular Game of Thrones memes I was looking at the other night exhibit, on their face, a distinct ignorance of the very narrative they’re referring to.
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1171 on: May 23, 2019, 06:02:11 AM »
Well, in my case I've never particularly loved Game of Thrones as a story. Before I ever watched the show I was a bit underwhelmed by the first book. I enjoyed many of the characters but mostly watched because I enjoyed that it was one of the few pieces of pop culture that had a massive in the moment aspect to the discussion. I am here for a community of snark and memes.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #1172 on: May 24, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
Drogon's connection was animalistic and maternal, the previous seasons depicted him that way, nothing would suggest it was cerebral or psychic.  He didn't always obey her, in fact left her alone when she was captured by the Dothraki, when she wanted to go back to Mereen.  I'd agree he has a connection with her, but to say he suddenly understood a symbol after the death of his mother seems to go against the ferocity with which he defended her.  It is the exact same inconsistency Grey Worm's non-response to Jon Snow that seemed weak and unbelievable.  They were her sworn defenders ready to die for her, and when she is suddenly murdered we are expected to believe that deep down they understood?
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1173 on: May 27, 2019, 10:02:59 PM »
Grey Worm’s response seemed right for his character. He has always been trained to follow his commander. No Dany, no commander, no orders to execute anyone - he spelled it out as much by waiting for them to appoint a king.
Yes he bucked but, in the end, he acquiesced to Bran’s decision even though he felt it didn’t go far enough. Plus I think he realized that the unsullied were badly outnumbered and would not survive a war with the bulk of Westeros lined up against him.

All in all, I wasn’t displeased with the season or the finale, I can fill in the gaps knowing what I do from the politics from the books, including the prequels. I don’t need every little plot point spelled out for me to infer the missing information. Wish it had been a longer season but it wasn’t.
The very first chapter in A Game of Thrones is Bran’s pov. I find that very significant in terms of who ends up on the throne.
Hey, nice marmot!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #1174 on: May 27, 2019, 11:03:42 PM »
The discipline of a trained soldier is one thing, but the loss of a leader/commander isn't the kind of change of command a soldier of any rank or discipline would just take as ordinary course of business.  It was an assassination of someone who had freed him from bondage, someone he was devoted to and represented everything he was fighting (and had lost) for.  His character was obedient, but the foreshadowing resentment had had toward Jon seemed like a chance at an epic battle.  There were lots of those kind of unfulfulling kind of moments, like Cersei's death. 

Not sure what reading the books means to the overall outcome, didn't the writers take their own path with George's books still yet to come?  I doubt visions between the 3 of them are anywhere near guessing or "infer" able. 

Tyrion talked about the best story at the end, did Bran really have the best story?  I'd argue almost anyone else had a better story, Arya, Sansa, Varys, Tyrion, and Jon and Dany probably had the best stories.  Bron and Brienne had a better story haha.  If Bran as the 3 eyed raven had the power to see it all coming, then saying he didn't want to be king seems a bit self-serving, I'll say this because it doesn't matter.  I have loved this show dearly and to see it end this way was largely disappointing, I have not read a word of the books (mostly based on personal life situation), but I would like to, but the way this story unfolded by the writers it seems to be unique on its own.  I'm ok with how it wrapped up, it just feels incredibly disappointing.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:08:40 PM by colonel_mexico »
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #1175 on: May 28, 2019, 03:02:10 AM »
Does the average person in Westeros know who or what the Three Eyed Raven is? From what i gathered they don't and basically in the end just went along with what Bran said.

I don’t need every little plot point spelled out for me to infer the missing information.

I come across this problem a lot of Reddit. They give out a list of all the unresolved plots. The problem is you don't want to resolve every little thing. Some things are better left to the imagination and I'm ok with that. Things like the Lord of Light. Do we need any explanation on that? I don't think so.

I was disappointed this season but i am fully willing to accept that i got caught up in the hype and expectations. 6 months from now i want to restart from season 2 and see how i feel then.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1176 on: July 08, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
Not sure what reading the books means to the overall outcome, didn't the writers take their own path with George's books still yet to come?  I doubt visions between the 3 of them are anywhere near guessing or "infer" able. 

The show runners sat down with Martin when they all realized they were going to outpace the books and he told them how his novels were going to end.
Destination is supposed to be the same but perhaps the route will be different.
Hey, nice marmot!

love