Author Topic: 1SOs Great Movies Hit List  (Read 17560 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1SOs Great Movies Hit List
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
Really, at this point, the only proper way to watch Metropolis is in the theatre with a live orchastra.

Fyp

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »
Really, at this point, you should just see the film.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »
It's a good film, perhaps a great film. It will probably make a list, that's for sure.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
Taxi Driver

I've seen Taxi Driver beginning to end 3 times now. The first time I just out and out hated it, and the 2nd wasn't an improvement. But I haven't seen it since 1990 and since then I've come around to loving Mean Streets and they released a Blu-Ray so I went at it once again.

This time I was considerably more impressed, and I realized where my problem is. It's the script. This is a lurid character study directed and acted with a lot of finesse. You see Bickle's arc and it's very convincing. Paul Schrader's writing, however, has no finesse. It's a blunt tool, and loaded with a pretentious amount of self importance to boot. The trajectory of this thing is very clunky from scene to scene, but within those scenes, Scorsese holds on DeNiro long enough to let the character come through.

Looking through his IMDB page, I've held this opinion about nearly all of Schrader's writing. Last Temptation is probably his best work, but they're all unsubtle morality plays that live or die by the other talent involved.

Harvey Keitel is laughable in a terrible casting decision. He doesn't fit at all, but is trying like an actor to method the part and Scorsese holds on his scenes for too long. The scene with Jodie Foster before the climax is not only stupid it's very very dull.  I also really don't get the climax, which is nothing more than typical grindhouse trash. The red lights, lingering blood shots and hysterics make it play like the trailer to Hobo With a Shotgun. It was probably shocking that this kind of violence was playing to mass audiences back in the 70s, but now we know there were other examples of baseline thrill kills in sleazier theaters.

GRADE: ***, for Scorsese and DeNiro
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:07:03 AM by 1SO »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
This is one I need to revisit now that it is out on el bluray. Part of me thinks I'll still find it gripping and astounding. Part of me thinks you might be right. And then all of me remembers the list of movies I should be watching instead of revisiting Taxi Driver. As of late, I've felt like I've scummed to too many rewatches.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
Of to a wrong start, Chuck. Sweet. Now I know to expect as much fun out of this marathon as the last.

This will annoy some: Harvey Keitel, Taxi Driver's Michael Sheen?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »
Yes, FroHam. Yes.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SOs Great Movies Hit List - Metropolis
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 03:04:51 PM »
Metropolis

While it's amazing I've never seen Metropolis till today, I saw it at a perfect time, in its most complete form and on stunning Blu-Ray, where portions look like they were filmed this year. This is one of the most complete cinematic visions I've seen, certainly right up there with Blade Runner and Brazil. The effects are all worthy of respect and some are still quite special, but what I really liked is the overall creative style. The way people would move within the frame. I've seen a few German Expressionist silent films, but none knocked me with their style nearly as much as this one.

I have 2 favorite performances. Fritz Rasp as the Thin Man has a great dramatic creepiness to him, like a great Disney villain. His presence in the car with Georgy is quite chilling. Just a marvelous face for silent movies. Brigitte Helm was fine as Maria, but she really knocked me out as Machine Maria. That extra bit of eye liner set her loose and her physical movements as she rallied the workers towards revolt were outstanding. I also loved that one squinty eye which twisted her face into pure malice.

Metropolis plays like the first blockbuster. It has themes and ideas, but it's also perfect Summertime entertainment. It's rare that a film balances character and spectacle this well. Anyone who regularly posts on these boards should definitely watch it. This won't crack my Top 100, but it's Top 150 for sure.

GRADE: ****

EDIT: Still thinking about it. It might crack my Top 100.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:07:56 AM by 1SO »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »
I was surprised by how good it was on both the thematic and entertainment level. I have no qualms putting it in my top 100.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1SOs Great Movies Hit List - Metropolis
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 03:35:44 PM »
EDIT: Still thinking about it. It might crack my Top 100.

It would make your top-100 more winning. It is #13 on my upcoming revision.