love

Author Topic: 1SOs Great Movies Hit List  (Read 17565 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SOs Great Movies Hit List - Safety Last!
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
Safety Last!

As with most people, this is my first Harold Lloyd; and as with most I find myself comparing "the third genius" to Chaplin and Keaton. He's not as brilliantly inspired as the other two, but he's not as overly sentimental as Chaplin and proves to be as good/brave a stuntman as Keaton. Despite their brief running times, silent comedies tend to try my patience, because they're more a collection of set-pieces than a A-Z story. This one starts that way, especially when setting up the character of the cop. However, once The Girl arrives in the big city everything spins out from one secure comic premise. By the time Lloyd is passing off his manager's office as his own I was smiling at the ingenuity. When we get to the bird attack during his climb, I was laughing out loud. The climb remains a great comic stunt sequence. Everyone knows about the clock, but there's a new peril on every floor.

RATING: ***1/2

Antares

• Godfather
Re: 1SOs Great Movies Hit List
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »
Check out The Freshman, I think you'll like it too.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Check out The Freshman, I think you'll like it too.
Planning on it. It'll probably appear in my List of Shame. (Shamefully, it's the only other Lloyd I'm aware of.)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
I didn't care for The Freshman or Speedy.  Thought they were OK, but nothing special.  But I really liked Safety Last!, more so when someone here told me Lloyd was missing a bunch of fingers.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"