Poll

What's your favorite film by Clint Eastwood?

haven't seen any
0 (0%)
don't like any
1 (2.3%)
Play Misty for Me (1971)
0 (0%)
High Plains Drifter (1973)
2 (4.7%)
Breezy (1973)
0 (0%)
The Eiger Sanction (1975)
0 (0%)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
4 (9.3%)
The Gauntlet (1977)
0 (0%)
Bronco Billy (1980)
0 (0%)
Firefox (1982)
0 (0%)
Honkytonk Man (1982)
0 (0%)
Sudden Impact (1983)
0 (0%)
Pale Rider (1985)
0 (0%)
Heartbreak Ridge (1986)
0 (0%)
Bird (1988)
0 (0%)
White Hunter Black Heart (1990)
0 (0%)
The Rookie (1990)
0 (0%)
Unforgiven (1992)
24 (55.8%)
A Perfect World (1993)
0 (0%)
The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
1 (2.3%)
Absolute Power (1997)
0 (0%)
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)
1 (2.3%)
True Crime (1999)
0 (0%)
Space Cowboys (2000)
0 (0%)
Blood Work (2002)
0 (0%)
Mystic River (2003)
3 (7%)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)
1 (2.3%)
Flags of Our Fathers (2006)
0 (0%)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
5 (11.6%)
Changeling (2008)
1 (2.3%)
Gran Torino (2008)
0 (0%)
Invictus (2009)
0 (0%)
Hereafter (2010)
0 (0%)
J. Edgar (2011)
0 (0%)
Jersey Boys (2014)
0 (0%)
American Sniper (2014)
0 (0%)
Sully (2016)
0 (0%)
The Mule (2018)
0 (0%)
The 15:17 to Paris (2018)
0 (0%)
Richard Jewell (2019)
0 (0%)
Cry Macho (2021)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Eastwood, Clint  (Read 10871 times)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
Re: Eastwood, Clint - Director's Best
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
11.) ABSOLUTE POWER
10.) FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS
09.) BIRD
08.) MYSTIC RIVER
07.) MILLION DOLLAR BABY
06.) UNFORGIVEN
05.) CHANGELING
04.) A PERFECT WORLD
03.) J. EDGAR
02.) MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL
01.) LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:34:10 AM by AAAutin »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
The Bridges of Madison County Clint Eastwood, 1995

It starts out awful. Meryl Streep's kids show up at her house to execute her will and stuff, and they get all these scenes of them being white douchebags and being awful. Eastwood has no idea what to do with them, but still spends 15 minutes setting up the situation. I was ready to hate this. And then finally we get to Meryl Streep and her mysterious charms. She's a housewife from Italy. She isn't exactly lonely, but things haven't worked out the way that she always wanted them to. Her husband goes off for a few days with her kids. And then Eastwood shows up. And the sexy music starts. Not really. The film takes things slowly and develops a fantastic sense of intimacy between the two characters. Eastwood doesn't do fast. And then the loving and the emotions begin. They form a connection. And then choices have to be made. Streep CINECAST!ing pulls miracles out of thin air in this film. I have no idea how she makes her accent be an actual thing that is moving and wonderful, but she does. And Eastwood isn't a manly man (although he certainly is), but is instead someone who is lonely and is willing to be and feel weak. The only problem is that Eastwood keeps cutting back to the gross kids who go like, "ewww, my mom was an erotic being? wtf?" which just throws everything off. But even that can't diminish these seriously beautiful old people emotions. The tears will be lost in the rain, of course.

I look forward to saying this one day: “The old dreams were good dreams. They didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.”

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:42:51 PM by 1SO »

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »
High Plains Drifter, hands down.

Of those that I haven't seen, the two that might have a shot at usurping the spot for favorite would be Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino.

But I doubt they would. 
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

Ryecatcher

• Frosted Flakes aren't that great.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »
Apparently, I'm the only one who thinks Josey Wales is his best... and I consider him to be one of my favorite actors/directors.

The Outlaw Josey Wales was one of the first movies I ever watched on Showtime back in the early 80s that my parents wouldn't have approved of. I was in 4th grade, and was so intrigued by the notion of chewing tobacco (and spitting it on stuff) that the first chance I had, I asked my grandfather if he had some.. he did, and figuring he'd be teaching me a lesson, gave me the remains of a pouch full of wintergreen Beechnut , which I took to school and chewed at recess.

His planned 'lesson' didn't work, and instead I got in trouble with the teacher. It was years later before I ever tried it again.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:56:37 PM by Ryecatcher »
Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 03:32:31 AM »
TOJW is a great film, but not quiet the top of his game. With 4 great westerns (I know a lot do not think much of Pale Rider, but that's their opinion) to his name, Eastwood has a right to be considered one of the best directors of westerns.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
A Perfect World (Clint Eastwood, 1993)

Bland nice guy Costner plays against type and totally makes it work. Daddy issues and unwhole sons in a nostalgic setting – it’s pretty much Tree of Life sans dinos. A lot of substitute daddies: Barnet attempts to protect young Butch from his upbringing through the justice system, Butch tries to give Philip the roller-coasters and trick or treating his mother will not, and Philip presents Butch with the opportunity to nurture and therefore exorcise the traumas of his own youth. Indeed Butch playfully calls their car a time machine, as if their travels will go back in time and reverse Butch’s anguish. Even the nation is about to experience the trauma of a lost father figure as the film takes place shortly before Kennedy’s ride through Dallas.

The bond between Butch and the kid is really nicely realized and though his direction isn’t flashy, Clint expertly handles the pace of the film which really builds the central relationship. The film’s great strength is the relationship between Butch and Philip, which is largely achieved through the road movie genre. So many road movies just feel point a, to b, to c…etc., and while this one is formulaic in the beats it hits, the pace is so right that it never feels that mechanical.

As a character study it seems that a re-write would have added a little subtlety to Butch’s psychology, but it’s good enough and Costner’s surprisingly strong performance keeps it together. Butch means well, he’s damaged not a sociopath, but his anger and violence can only be suppressed for a time and a farmer smacking his grandson is more than he can bear. His attempts to protect and realize his own recovery prove only to damage others. This business with the farm family is a big scene, a great movie would make it sing, but this one is merely good.

Bland potatoes is not a wholly unfair assessment, but something about this hopeless trek to Alaska struck a chord.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:43:13 PM by 1SO »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »
I haven't seen that since it came out, but I recall it as being pretty great.  The most underrated Eastwood.  This, or White Hunter, Black Heart.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
I've always skipped it because my mom liked it. Mom really digs Clint.

My alternate write-up: Kevin Costner evaluates a young boy's penis. mañana's heart is warmed.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

mousterpiece

• Elite Member
    • Mousterpiece Cinema
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
1. Unforgiven
2. Million Dollar Baby
3. Mystic River
4. Letters from Iwo Jima
5. Flags of Our Fathers
6. Space Cowboys
7. Invictus
8. Hereafter
9. Changeling
10. Gran Torino
Listen to my podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema!

Find me on Sound on Sight!

Follow me on Twitter!

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
Letters from Iwo Jima
Play Misty for Me
High Plains Drifter

Million Dollar Baby
Pale Rider
The Eiger Sanction
Bronco Billy
The Bridges of Madison County
Gran Torino
Bird
White Hunter Black Heart

Flags of Our Fathers
Honkytonk Man
The Gauntlet
Sudden Impact
Invictus

Heartbreak Ridge
Firefox
Space Cowboys
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

love