0 (0%)
Jimmy's Hall
0 (0%)
I, Daniel Blake
0 (0%)
Sorry We Missed You
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Loach, Ken  (Read 4484 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Loach, Ken
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
1. Family Life
2. Sorry We Missed  You

3. My Name is Joe
4. Riff Raff
5. The Wind That Shakes the Barley
6. Land and Freedom
7. Ladybird Ladybird
8. I, Daniel Blake
9. Hidden Agenda
10. The Angel's Share
11. Kes

12. Sweet Sixteen
13. Poor Cow
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:31:23 AM by 1SO »

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »
Hidden Agenda (1990)
* * * - Okay
I don't have the knowledge of the conflicts in Ireland that Ken Loach and his filmmakers have, so I admit to missing the shorthand people living closer to the troubles bring to the story. Loach doesn't try to explain things to outsiders, which is good because dumbing things down would be a miserable compromise. I'd rather have stuff go over my head and trust in the emotions of the characters then feel like I'm being lectured too. Still, Loach never quite marries his inner passion with its cop thriller wrapping. The investigation is interesting and very well-acted by Brian Cox in a rare chance to play lead, but while the geography is somewhat alien, the genre territory is fairly routine, including a deep throat informant and a scene where old men sip whisky, sit calmly and explain that this goes higher than anybody suspected.

I'm planning to watch a lot of Ken Loach and if this review sounds disappointing it's because I believe he is a very good director, but in this particular film his contribution is rather routine, as if a Hollywood producer tried to smooth him out into a mainstream craftsman. The result is a good film, especially in the acting, but I hoped for a little more greatness. The best moment of emotional connection comes from a musical performance inside an Irish Pub. The song is "The Ballad of Joe McDonnell."

And you dare to call me a terrorist, while you look down your guns,
When I think of all the deeds that you have done.
You have plundered many nations, divided many lands,
You have terrorised our people, you ruled with your iron hand,
And you brought this reign of terror to my land.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 12:55:29 AM »

Riff Raff (1991)
"Depressions are for the middle classes. The rest of us have got an early start in the morning."

I find Loach can be pretty heavy with using his films as a political platform, but even though this contains a character who constantly complains about how the system and the government are screwing the working man, Loach applies a surprisingly light touch. For the most part the film is a knockabout comedy about a bunch of underpaid hard workers on a housing project, but wishing they could be doing anything else.

The lead is Robert Carlyle and his character gets involved in a well-meaning but emotionally unstable relationship. (I've never heard of Emer McCourt, but she's excellent.) Their drama keeps the film from becoming too superficial, and as the film unspools, Loach slowly increases the drama while dialing back on the comedy. He never drops it completely, allowing for an ending that's bittersweet instead of crushing. There are about three big gags and they're the weakest moments of the film. It's better when he draws comedy naturally from the performances.

I was really impressed by Loach's ability to transform this housing project into a society unto itself, with parallels to the Thatcher era, and the way he was able to keep a momentum to the story without any obvious plot development. It's a much richer movie than it sounds by its description and also a much more joyful experience. If you're a fan of Mike Leigh films pre-Secrets & Lies, you'd probably enjoy Riff Raff as much.
RATING: * * * - Very Good

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »

Ladybird Ladybird (1994)
"It is dangerous to alleviate the suffering, because suffering has a job to do for the government.."

I thought I had Ken Loach pegged as a filmmaker focused on grinding his axe against the injustice of the government. If that's the case, he's muddled his argument with Ladybird Ladybird. I don't think that's the case. Instead, Loach has given a new context to the Hamlet question. Is our lead becoming increasingly unstable mentally because of what the government is doing to her, or is she manifesting a mental instability that's been part of her core from the start?

Maggie comes from an abusive household. She has four kids, all from different fathers. She will have more before the film is over. Loach doesn't ask us to judge if Maggie is fit to be a mother. She loves her children as well as she can, which is to say not all that well. She's neglectful and prone to falling for bad men. (Ray Winstone is a bit much, and this film had me wondering just how may times he played a character who beats a woman while calling her a c---.) Social Services steps in and their decision that Maggie is an unfit mother only fuels her obsession to have and keep a child.

Harrowing stuff at times, and the lead performance by Crissy Rock leaves nothing behind. She explodes at others and then implodes onto herself. This is done with enough finesse that every moment feels raw and real, not shouty and melodramatic. I feel like I'm burying the lead here, so let me add that Rock's performance earns comparison to Emily Lloyd in Breaking the Waves and Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence.

Her main relationship in the film is with Jorge (Vladimir Vega), an illegal alien who wishes to settle down with Maggie and give her some stability. It's unclear what draws Jorge to Maggie. I would've liked some more unease in their relationship. Some doubt from him. Instead, he's such a patient saint it draws a little from the uber-realism.

I waited for Loach to present Social Services as a group of judgmental brutes, but while their manner is repetitive ("We just want to talk,") and cold towards Maggie, I can't say they're in the wrong here.
RATING: * * * - Good

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
1. The Angels' Share (3.5)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 03:13:58 AM »
I watched The Angel's Share recently and it is a lovely little film, I still rate Kes higher, though. I am glad someone else has seen it.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »
I watched The Angel's Share recently and it is a lovely little film, I still rate Kes higher, though. I am glad someone else has seen it.

Lovely little film is the perfect way to describe it. Having seen no other Loach, I was quite taken by it. I really should catch Kes and The Wind That Shakes the Barley.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »
I, Daniel Blake

I don't care enough (or at all) to watch another one at this point.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:57:12 PM by DarkeningHumour »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
Kes, 80°
It's A Free World, 50°
Looking For Eric, 50°
The Wind That Shakes The Barley, 40°
Land And Freedom, 40°
The Navigators, 35°
My Name Is Joe, 30°
Sweet Sixteen, 30°
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 06:12:34 AM »
Kes, 80°

I didn't even know temperatures could go that high. Do you have movies between 50º and 80º or is it either Saudi Arabia or Barren Wasteland of fire and Death ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love